Since late 2010, the State of Alabama Licensing Board has required that anyone seeking employment as a security officer or armed security officer shall complete 8 hours of Board Approved classroom training with a certified trainer before applying for a license.
You will have to pass a written exam related to the course subject matter that you learn during your 8 hours of classroom training.
Many security companies or employers will also include (and/or require additional training) on top of the 8 hours that are required by the state to get your license.
Typically, at a minimum, you will usually be required to meet the following criteria:
• Must be at least 18 years of age;
• No felonies or violent criminal convictions;
• Must not have a disqualifying mental illness;
• A high school diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent certificate;
• Must be physically fit for the position they are applying for.
Additional training is required in order to carry a firearm while on duty.